Thursday, January 24, 2013


This picture is titled "Grace," by Eric Enstrom, from the year 1918. It's simple and effective, and the picture has garnered a huge amount of fame throughout the years. It hangs in many families' homes, reminding us to be thankful for things as simple as a bowl of gruel and a loaf of bread. As the story goes, an old peddler stopped by Enstrom's studio and struck the artist as a man with an honest face. Ernstrom arranged the bowl, bread, knife, and bible and then asked the man to pose as if he was praying. The man fell into the pose comfortably, and as they say, the rest is history.

I chose to write about this picture because it has hung in my grandmother's dining room as long as I can remember. My grandma is a very faithful Southern Baptist and always seems to be advocating God's love to her grandchildren. I used to look at the picture a lot over breakfasts or dinners at her house, and I guess that it always struck me for its warmth in simplicity. It's a message that reaches most people, be they religious or not. Thanks be given to whoever is behind all of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment